Wednesday, April 11, 2012

DIY: Monogrammed Door Decor

This is my spring break!  Last year at this time, I was enjoying New Orleans.  I had the best time with a few of my friends. I didn't come back with a tan, but a serious burn instead. Well, this year for my spring break I am staying home. I am very pale, but I am finally getting some serious spring cleaning done, and a few projects completed. One is this monogrammed door decor, which is a great accent to any door.



When I decided on making a monogrammed letter for my door decor, I did some research on the Internet and came up empty. So, this is my take on monogrammed door decor!!
Materials needed for this project: material you select, large paper letter, glue gun, glue sticks, pom-pom trim, scissors, plastic ring( I found mine in the curtain section), and E-6000 glue. You can find all of these things at your local craft store, make sure you take your letter when you pick out your material to get the accurate amount of material needed.
You might notice that my "T" is faded in some areas, this is my second time recovering it.  So, you can recover your letter every couple of years.

Step 1: Lay your material flat,  apply hot glue before folding the material over the top . Cut at a diagonal to have enough material to cover the top of the "T". If you have a difficult letter like a "M"- trace the letter front and back. Then cut out, glue the material directly to the back and front.

Step 2: Apply hot glue to the middle of the "T" and fold over. Make sure to pull tight, to avoid gaping.

Step 3: To complete the bottom of the "T"  use the same technique as wrapping a present. I applied extra material over my messy material to make the appearance of the back neater.

Step 4: This is the trickiest part, because you have some pieces of cardboard showing, so you will have to cut smaller pieces to glue in place, but the trim, covers these imperfections.** If have the difficult letter you will have to apply stripes to the middle, because you only will have applied facing to the front and the back.

Step 5: Hot glue the pom-pom trim to the edge of your letter. I put the trimcloser to the front to cover the imperfections. You will need to take you letter to the craft store to measure the amount of trim you will need.

Step 6: Apply the E-6000 glue to the ring, press to the letter, let dry for 1/2 hour. Leave part of the ring above your letter, so you will be able to hang on your door hook.

Voila-  Monogrammed door decor! I have gotten so many compliments on this and I love it! I decided to recover it and show you how!
***Friday I will have a fashion DIY and don't forget to enter my giveaway for a free pair of Luxury Lane leather gloves here.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE monogrammed pieces! I actually just bought an "N" today to do a little DIY for a decoration in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool... Love the pop of color against the dark door. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is very cute! A great alternative to a wreath.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...