Tuesday, December 27, 2011

DIY- Making a Wine Glass Hostess Gift

A New Year's Eve gathering may be in your holiday season future. Often people bring a bottle of wine as a hostess gift. An easy gift is bringing some chalkboard painted wine glasses, for those bottles of wine. This project is easy and personal. I have taken these glasses to the holiday gatherings  I attended. I have given each hostess a set of 4 glasses. I loved them so much that I made myself a set.

Items need for the project are wine glasses(I got mine for a $1.00 each at the dollar store), painters or masking tape, newspaper, chalkboard paint, foam brush, chalk, and ribbon. I have a quart of chalkboard paint that has been lasting forever, but you can also buy chalkboard spray paint which is less expensive.
First, wrap painters tape around the stem of the wine glass and set them on newspaper.
Second, paint a coat of chalkboard paint and let it dry for about 30 minutes before applying another coat. You will need to put around five coats before removing the tape. When removing the tape, go slow and you may need to touch up around the the tape area.

Make sure to rub chalk  all over the chalkboard surface. This allows the chalkboard paint to cure to the wine glass surface. Finally , wipe the chalkboard surface off with a damp cloth and you can add a ribbon or charm to accessorize your glass.  Make sure on the gift card to the hostess give instructions to hand wash. This is a fabulous, inexpensive and personal hostess gift.


4 comments:

  1. A great idea for parties! Hope you had a lovely Christmas:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received a set of these and I adore them! They are very cool. A fantastic gift from a dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! It seems very simple to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! I remember this when my friend give this kind of gift. I was happy back then.

    wine glasses

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...