Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DIY: Making a Fur Peter Pan Collar

It seems like everywhere I look this fall I see fur. I was recently looking on a couple of websites. I saw these Peter Pan fur collars ranging from $20-$35. Quickly, I said, "I can make that!" and off to the craft store I went. This was a pretty feasible project and I loved how it turned out.  To complete this project you will need: fur and backing material at least 12 inches by 12 inches, craft glue, No Fray adhesive,  stick pins, ribbon( whatever color you choose), paper for a pattern, pencil, scissors, and something heavy.

First, you will have to draw a pattern on paper. This will be used as your template. I tried it on my neck after I cut it out.

Second, as you see, I rounded my edges to make the collar have more of a Peter Pan look, and I also had to fold the back to fit my neck size.

Third, you will need to place the pattern on the fur material. You will need to fasten the material to the pattern so it will not slip as you are cutting.


Fourth, once you have cut out the fur, make sure to try it on your neck before going any further on these directions. If it fits well, then take the material that you chose for the backing and pin it to the pattern. You will use the pattern to cut, instead of pinning it to the fur, so that you can cut as close to make equal sizes of the fur and the backing.

Fifth, you will need to make sure the backing material  fits evenly on the back of the fur. If not you can cut accordingly. Then cut the ribbon into two 17 inch pieces.

Sixth, you will glue the backing material to the fur with fabric glue on both insides facing to each backing.  You will need to lift the sides up off the backing material and glue 2 1/2 inches of the ribbon between the two fabrics. Then, use the No Fray adhesive on the edges and lay something heavy, like a telephone book, to help the glue adhere to the two fabrics.

This project only took about 30 minutes and the  finished product is fabulous. Let me know if you tried the project or just what you think !

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Grace for the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg. so creative and fabulous. it turned out flawless. amazing post, love. thanks for sharing. if you get a sec I'd love to hear what you think of my latest post. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...