Monday, October 8, 2012

Transforming that summer dress into fall- Part 1

 Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. One thing I noticed this weekend was the temperature change. I felt like it went from very warm to very cold. Many people pack away their summer clothes and bring out the fall/ winter wear. I put some things away, but I try to incorporate many pieces throughout the year.  I am dedicating the next two posts to transforming your summer dress into your fall attire. I bought this dress this summer at the thrift store and can be seen here. Many different types of dresses can be incorporated into your fall wardrobe by layering a couple of pieces.


In this first outfit, I took the same dress and paired it with a floral denim shirt from Target and a burgundy sweater from H&M. Adding a skinny belt over your sweater helps define your waistline. I accomplished being warm (because my work was really cold!) and found a way to incorporate this dress into fall.
Braided Skinny Belt - SimilarXhilaration: Western Floral Denim Shirt, H&M- Burgundy Cable Jumper 

This second outfit, I went for a more casual look. I took off the belt and added a pair of western style brown boots. I love the brown boots contrasting against the black dress. Its important that an outfit accomplished two things for me: one, I feel great and two, I can maintain my style.
Blowfish Boots- Similar

In the fall, I tend to wear pants more often than skirts or dresses (just because I can't stand to be cold). My goal for my next few posts are to take a few of my summer dresses and incorporate them into my fall attire.


Which outfit is your favorite? Do you wear your summer dresses in the fall? Are you one to pack away your summer clothes and only use them for summer?

14 comments:

  1. Both fall looks are so cute!

    I will have to see if I can try that with one of my dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrienne. I can't wait to see what you come up with, I bet it will be fabulous.

      Delete
  2. Love it with the boots! I do the same thing with my summer dresses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both looks are great! I love the belted sweater in the first look and the boots with the second. I feel the same way about getting the most out of your clothes. If you can work your summer pieces into the fall/winter it's a win-win! Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I love getting use out of my clothes all year.

      Delete
  4. I love how you made the look work for fall! I keep finding myself relying on black dress pants and it's getting so boring. I need to get back into the habit of making my dresses and skirts work for cooler temperatures!

    Jess - J's Style
    fancypants514.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself picking pants a lot, I am giving the dresses and skirts more of a try before the crazy temperatures start.

      Delete
  5. Love it both ways! Great ways of mixing summer & fall pieces!

    I did put away a lot of my summer things but managed to keep a few maxi skirts & dresses to wear with oversize sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great styling ideas, Carrie - I do the same with my sleeveless dresses. Love the look with boots. Thanks so much for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the look with the boots! In fact, I'm wearing a more-summery dress today...just paired it with tights & a jean jacket. Dresses & skirts are my go-to during the fall & winter. I try to avoid wearing pants. (you know what I mean...that didn't sound right!) Come visit me - bring Molly! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it about the pants, I want to come see you and I think it would be a great idea for Molly's and I's birthday. Hers is in March and mine in February.

      Delete
  8. This is something I'm going to try this year ... I have some floaty-high-low prints that I think might work with boots, tights and a sweater or blazer. Thanks for the great illustration and inspiration!
    Jan
    http:/www.fortsmithstylista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do this with all but my most summery of dresses. Tights, boots, and a cardigan are usually all it takes!

    http://fieryfinish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...