Wednesday, January 25, 2012

DIY-Neon Rhinestone Necklace

This week my posts are dedicated to bright colors. I wanted to have a neon rhinestone necklace, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money because it is a trendy piece.This picture makes the necklace look darker, but it is a great neon yellow. The cool thing about DIYs are you can make items you like for a very reasonable price.


Materials needed for this project are yellow fluorescent spray paint, clear gloss spray paint, rhinestone necklace, remnants of an old necklace, lightweight jewelry wire, wire cutters, pliers, and newspaper.

I purchased this necklace at the thrift store last week as a set for $6.99. I have great plans for the bracelet and earrings.(You may see them in a future post.) You might have a rhinestone necklace in your own jewelry box you can use.

Step 1 : Lay your necklace face up and spray the fluorescent paint. I sprayed two light coats, you don't want it to be caked on. After this dries, spray with the clear gloss spray paint. This coats the necklace and adds a shine to the rhinestones. I found the fluorescent paint dried in dull finish.

Step 2: The neon necklace by itself is very simple with a little funkiness. I wanted to add more detail, so I went digging in my jewelry box. I found this necklace, which I had never worn. On the necklace, I removed the ribbon that was attached. Then, it was ready to be assembled.

(Sorry about the shadow) Step 3 : I used the jewelry wire and tied the two necklaces together. I counted down 12 rhinestones from the hook, because I wanted to to have a longer look. Then, once you pulled the wire tightly with the pliers, cut with your wire cutters. Your necklace is finished and ready to be worn. I wore mine to work the other day and received many compliments. I see myself wearing it a lot in the summer with a tank and a maxi skirt.  I would love to hear what you think. Happy Wednesday!!!

2 comments:

  1. Cool this is such a great DIY! Perfect way to not spend too much on a trendy piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at neon! Love how it turned out. Thanks so much for linking up to Monday Mingle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you ...